25 Feb 2015

Sleeping beauty

When I was taking this first picture of a green wall the friend (Portuguese) who was with me said, that I shouldn’t take pictures like that. That I shouldn’t show this side of Portugal. The decay.

Did I stop? No. It just urged me on to find ways to bring out the beauty in imperfection. The peeling, faded paint is much more interesting than shiny, unblemished surfaces. The foregone beauty is still there, in a different form, like crow’s feet on an old woman’s smiling face. Signs of a life well lived.

I know, it’s a matter of opinion. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, they say. My eyes see the colours and the forms of things, the balance and harmony. The history, and no-one can take that  away from them as long as the walls stand up right. 


Green wall
Aveiro, 2009












Window

Faro, 2012






Closed doors
Vila do Conde, 2010































Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment