11 Feb 2015

Metamorphoses

I’m in Lisbon. The first time I came here was in the early 90’s, I think. The city was beautiful even back then. And so clean. Few tourists in those days, in March. There didn’t even seem to be any inhabitants out on the streets. It was quiet and calm. Like a suburb during working hours.


















These days it’s different. Lisbon has changed. It would be strange if it hadn't. Everything changes over the years. 

The city is still beautiful and clean, but buzzing with life, and tourists, even in February. It’s ok. They’re welcomed with the same warmth that the Portuguese welcome both visitors and immigrants.

I went for a walk with the camera but took few shots, so I dug up from my archives for what I’d like to share of Lisbon with you. The alley cat. The old lady sharing her bread with pidgeons. The statue in Avenida de Liberdade. There’s more, of course, but I’ll leave them for another time. 

I’m going back North, home, tomorrow. I realized today that the girl from Southern Finland has become a woman from Northern Portugal. Some kind of metamorphosis that, too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment